This map by the Chicago Plan Commission depicts various housing developments in Chicago built between 1935 and 1946. It includes public and private development with over 50 dwelling units. The map notes housing type and square footage area calculations. In 1909, a 328-men commission was authorized by Chicago's City Council and appointed by the Mayor. The commission was established to promote a particular city vision called the Burnham Plan. It can also be noted that the Commission was successful in fostering support for the Plan's initiatives. Between 1912 and 1931, 86 Plan-related bond issues covering some 17 different projects were approved. Many of the publicly funded housing projects were developed during the height of the Plan's implementation. The Commission was later reorganized and subsumed into city government in 1939.